Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Good News Bad News

Today's Weight: 204.6 lbs

I'll start with the good news. I have been working out really good the past couple of days. I had a first at the gym the other day. I ran continuously for 30 minutes straight at a rate of 5.3 or higher for a total of almost 3 miles on the treadmill. I was pretty damn excited about that. I've always been a horrible distance or time runner so I'm glad that I am building the stamina for it.

On to the bad news, my weight loss has not been all that healthy...I have lost about 4 lbs since Sunday and that is because I'm depressed and not really eating to much. I am now making myself eat even though I'm really not ever hungry. The reason I am depressed is because on Sunday I found out that my mom has breast cancer. We don't really know to much about it right now, she is having surgery next week to remove the tumor which is 1/4 inch big. That means she is in stage 1 which is good I suppose. Everything seems really manageable. It's just tough because you never see it coming...

Running has been good for me because it gives me time to just think and collect all my thoughts about it...almost like a therapy for me right now. Now that I am aware of my not eating I'll be sure to start making myself eat because I don't want to lose muscle mass by not eating. I hope everyone is having a better week than me, and stay strong in your efforts to change your life now more than ever I realize that I'm not just losing weight to look good, I'm doing it to extend my life and hopefully be healthy throughout it.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Man, sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she makes a full recovery. Keep us posted on her status every now and then, if you can. And remember to eat! You're no good to your family if you're all sickly and weak :)

Ripx180 said...

sorry to hear about your mom, that sucks. Sounds like her diagnosis is good though and I speak from experience. Both of my parents are cancer survivors of 5+ years. My mother had kidney cancer and my father had prostrate cancer. Both had to under go surgery. It cured my mother but my father had to undergo kemo too. Both of them are now doing great with no signs of cancer coming back. Just be there to support your mother as much as possible. Make sure you start eating, your probably burning precious muscle... In the weight loss game muscle is gold, don't loose it. Take Care Man, my thoughts are with you and your mom.